Replicating Microfinance in the United States
"With the publication of this volume, knowledge and understanding of the practices of delivering micro-credit reach a new level of consolidation, and the stage is set for important further steps."—from the Foreword by Richard P. Taub, University of Chicago
Microfinance was pioneered in the developing world as the lending of small amounts of money to entrepreneurs who lacked the kinds of credentials and collateral demanded by banks. Similar practices spread from the developing to the developed world, reversing the usual direction of innovation, and today several hundred microfinance institutions are operating in the United States.
Replicating Microfinace in the United States reviews experiences in both developing and industrialized countries and extends the applications of microlending beyond enterprise to consumer finance, housing finance, and community development finance, concentrating especially on previously underserved households and their communities.
Contributors include Nitin Bhatt, Robert M. Buckley, Bruce Ferguson, Elinor Haider, Chi-kan Richard Hung, Sally R. Merrill, Jonathan Morduch, Gary Painter, Sohini Sarkar, Mark Schreiner, Lisa Servon, Ayse Can Talen, Shui-Yan Tang, Kenneth Temkin, Andres Vinelli, J. D. Von Pischke and Marc A. Weiss.
Replicating Microfinance in the United States is based on papers commissioned by the Fannie Mae Foundation and findings from an October 2001 conference jointly held by the Fannie Mae Foundation and Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C.
من داخل الكتاب
النتائج 1-5 من 100
... transplanting these programs to low- income communities in North America requires more adaptation than once thought necessary (Nelson 1994; Taub 1998). This chapter examines the operations and results of peer-group lending programs ...
The μnal sample was the result of an exhaustive search of all these programs in the United States, and thus it was a good representation of active programs at the time.1 Survey instruments were administered to program staff and ...
In the language of the framework of credit-risk management developed at the beginning of this chapter, μling for bankruptcy is a result of excessively high project risk rather than character risk. But character risk also plays an ...
As a result, 41 percent of them report having a family income of less than $10,000. The remaining 59 percent are distributed in the ranges of $10,001–20,000 and $20,001–30,000. 10. To illustrate how a slight change in deμnition may 242 ...
... 8 3 13 15 19 67 n.a. n.a. n.a. 70 31 3 7 5 33 43.3 4.1 4.5 8.3 (16.4)f 4.5 (6 months) (30 days) (30 days) (30 days) (6 months) n.a. 3 11 4.7 (5.7)f n.a. Risk-Reduction Results Risk- Bearing Capacity Project Risk Character Risk (Ability.